Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) resumed for the 2020/2021 season on December 26th, 2020. Five games into the new season, we look at the 20 teams and how they are faring, and for punters who bet on NetBet and the likes to have an idea of what the league looks like.
1) Rivers United FC – The Pride of Rivers are currently at the top of the league after a blistering start to the season in which they won 4 games out of 5, losing only to Wikki Tourist. They have also kept three clean sheets this season and are yet to drop a single point at home.
2) Nasarawa United FC – Nasarawa United are the only unbeaten team in the division and are seated in the second place on the league table with 11 points.
3) Lobi Stars FC – Lobi are one of the surprise packages of the season. They have started the season very well and sit in third place on the table with 10 points from 5 games.
4) Rangers International FC – The Flying Antelopes occupy the fourth position on the table. They have the same number of points as Lobi. With last season’s top scorer Israel Abia still banging in goals, they might have a shout for the title.
5) Enyimba FC – The league’s most successful club both domestically and on the continent have 9 points with a game in hand against Kwara United over their rivals. They have looked sharp this season, and as always are in the running to win the title come the end of the season.
6) Kano Pillars FC – The league’s other true big boys, led by their 40 year old club legend and midfielder, Rabiu Ali who tops the league’s goalscoring charts with three goals to his name. Pillars have 8 points from 5 games after a damaging loss to Enyimba last time out.
7) Dakkada FC – One of the league’s surprise packages, Dakkada are seated in 7th place with 8 points from 5 games.
8) MFM FM – The Church Boys have also started the season fairly well and have 8 points to their name after 5 matches.
9) Plateau United – Last season’s league leaders, Plateau United started the season poorly with a damaging loss. However, they seem to have picked up and now have 7 points and are slowly pushing their way up the table.
10) Jigawa Golden Stars – Jigawa Golden Stars have 7 points from 5 games and picked up their first away win in a decade this season to enter the top 10.
11) Sunshine Stars – The Akure Gunners led by Gbenga Ogunbote sit in 11th place, having racked up 7 points this season.
12) Warri Wolves – The Seasiders currently find themselves in the bottom half of the table with 6 points from 5 matches.
13) Katsina United – Katsina United have picked up 6 points from 5 games to sit in 13th place on the standings.
14) Akwa United – Akwa United have 6 points, putting them in 14th place on the table.
15) Kwara United – After a blistering start, United have suffered a drop in their results and currently sit just above the relegation zone with 5 points from 4 games.
16) Wikki Tourist – The Bauchi-based side have 5 points from 5 games, and are only one point above the drop zone.
17) FC Ifeanyi Ubah – FC Ifeanyi Ubah find themselves in the relegation battle early this season after picking up 4 points in 5 matches.
18) Heartland – The Naze Millionaires find themselves in unfamiliar territory. One of the league’s heavyweights, they would look to improve on their three point tally soon.
19) Adamawa United – Adamawa United have the worst winless run in the league, and have just 2 points this season.
20) Abia Warriors – Abia Warriors currently sit at the foot of the table with only 1 point after 5 games this season. Their coach, Imama Amapakabo is currently under pressure to turn things around.